There are many battlefronts Christians spread throughout the earth have been commissioned to engage. There are missionaries to unreached nations and there are Pastors called to disciple converted middle-class Americans. One frontline that I am vitally passionate about is the battle war against Planned Parenthood and the abortion industry. I believe there are many Christians called to step out onto the soil of abortion clinics proclaiming the gospel of Christ and pleading with parents for the lives of their children. I would like to arm anyone considering joining this kind of ministry with three weapons that aid us in this fight against abortion.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.Ephesians 6:12
Weapon #1 — The Truth
We must speak the truth about abortion. It is murder. It is not simply a mistake or an unwise decision, it is a morally wicked decision. It is just like the sacrifices to Molech the Israelites were commanded not to take part in. The Bible is very clear that the unborn are indeed alive and God places the same value on them as He does any other human. Therefore to kill an unborn child is murder.
This may seem harsh and unloving, however, I reassure you it is necessary for three reasons. The first two are admittedly pragmatic however the third one is most essential:
- Downplaying the evil of abortion belittles the victim of the abortion namely the child. We hate it when people downplay things like a rape or social injustice. We want to call rape and racism wicked as we should. For these same reasons we need to call abortion for what it is, murder.
- Calling abortion for what it is may very well sting that moral conscious God has put in every person. If you reduce abortion to simply an unwise decision than that lets the parents feel they have an option to disagree. Call it murder and you strip them of the ability to justify this decision as simply a matter of opinions. Some people have not marred their conscious so far that they would not be fine murdering their child.
- Calling abortion murder sets us up to deliver the truth that they need to hear, that is the message of the gospel.
Perhaps you are considering volunteering your medical skills to offer pregnant women free ultrasounds. Perhaps you are looking to adopt. Maybe you are considering offering to counsel to parents or offering jobs to parents whose poverty is an additional motivation to abort their pregnancy. Let me say those are all great ways to serve. Those services are a great help in this fight. However, we must remain sober that the proclamation of the gospel is the primary method we have in this fight against abortion.
Join Us and Get These Perks:
✅ No Ads in Articles
✅ Access to Comments and Discussions
✅ Community Chats
✅ Full Article and Podcast Archive
✅ The Joy of Supporting Our Work 😉
Although it delights my heart with unspeakable joy to see parents spare the lives of their children and get the help they need, I would weep if all these children are saved from the first death only to die one day and face the second death. I would hope that God would not just save these children from the clutches of abortion and their parents from the bloodstained guilt of murder, rather I would hope to see them repent and believe the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Therefore we must not go only with humanitarian means to meet the immediate felt needs of the parents but we must go with the power of the gospel. For the gospel is “the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes,” (Romans 1:16b). Let us not just offer them life for their child, but the true life of a restored relationship with God. Thus we declare the one who is the truth and the only way to God, Jesus Christ.
Weapon #2 — Love
Our speaking of truth must be done in love. 1 Corinthians 13 is very clear that no matter what ministry we take part in if we have not love then we are worthless:
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Those words should sober us to the importance of love in all that we do, even abortion mill ministry. I believe that as we go about engaging this fight we must do so with a heart filled with love for three things:
- Love for God: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” There is no one more offended and blasphemed more than God when an abortion takes place. It is God’s very image in the womb being torn to shreds. For the glory of God and the honor of His name, we ought to go out and seek to save babies and win souls.
- Love for our neighbors: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” I think it can be hard for us to grasp that the unborn are truly our neighbors. The fact that we cannot see them can cause us to feel apathetic to their plight. We must make sure we think biblically about abortion and there no matter how small or unformed an unborn child they are still human in the eyes of God and therefore are neighbors to us. We must love them.
- Love your enemies: “‘You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.” The parents who come out to murder their children and the pro-aborts and deathscorts that support them are indeed enemies of God. Yet we are commanded to love them. God showed mercy while we were His enemies and granted us the grace of salvation, perhaps He will save some of them. We also know that God is the just Judge will take His vengeance against the wicked on the day Christ returns. The justice of God frees us to love all men.
When we have our hearts and minds set on
Weapon #3 — Prayer
…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.Phil 4:6-7
We can do nothing without the hand of God moving on the hearts of parents to rescue their babies. God must work. He is sovereign and everything is under His control. It is a most arrogant thing to assume you can accomplish any endeavor in ministry without constant prayer to God.
Consider the life of Jesus, the only sinless man, God in flesh. Was He not the most capable minister to ever live? Did he not heal hundreds of their diseases? Did he not preach to thousands? Yet Christ longed to pray. Every moment He could get away he took and went to His Father to pray. The disciples noticed this about Christ and rather than ask Him how to heal the sick or raise the dead they asked, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.“
We ought to approach this fight with abortion not with our chest puffed up and shoulders high but on our knees bowed before almighty God. We must go to our knees trusting that God is able to save. That our God is far more generous and that he gives to him who asks.
Pray for three things:
- That God would save the sinners and unconverted parents, abortionist, workers at the clinic, and even for the unconverted pro-life advocates that come to the abortion clinic regularly offering help. That the babies would not just be spared the death by abortion that God might perhaps save their souls from hell.
- That God presses upon the hearts of the church to step into this battle against abortion.
- That God would end abortion either now our at the second coming of Christ.
These are the weapons God has given us to fight abortion. I pray that you would be emboldened and equipped to get involved in this fight. That you would step into the game and perform in this kind of ministry to the glory of God. Fight for His kingdom. May Christ receive the full reward for His sufferings. Amen.